Car Scrappage Scheme Eligibility
Both the existing vehicle that is to be traded in and the new car must fit the regulations set out by the scheme, some of which are outlined below.
The vehicle to be traded in must:
- Be registered in the United Kingdom (UK) on or before 31 August 1999
- Be a car or small van weighing up to 3,500 kilograms (kg)
- Be registered with the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) or Driver and Vehicle Agency (DVA) in the consumers name
- Have been registered to the same consumer continuously for 12 calendar months before the order date of the new car
- The car must also have a United Kingdom address on the registration certificate (V5C)
- Have a current MOT test certificate before order date for the new car (or within 14 days of its expiry at the time of placing the order)
- Have a current tax disc at the time of placing the order for the new car (or within 14 days of expiry at the time of order)
- Be insured when the order for the new vehicle is placed
The new vehicle to be purchased must:
- Be a car or small van weighing up to 3,500 kg
- Have been first registered in the United Kingdom on or after the middle of May 2009
- Have been declared new at first registration in the United Kingdom with no previous owners
It is worth noting that the regulations of the scheme state that when trading in an old vehicle for a new one the registered owner for both must be the same.