Car Emissions - Environmentally Friendly Cars
Green and alternative fuel cars are whats on everyones mind. It may not be to save the environment though. For most people, green cars are a way of having that warm feeling inside, more money in the pocket and also being part of the green culture thats taking over the UK.
Essentially, a green car is one that does not pollute as much compared to other cars. It is measured in terms of the amount of CO2 (carbon dioxide) released into the atmosphere in grams (g) for each kilogram (kg) of exhaust fumes produced.
For information on how much CO2 your car produces, choose your car make and model from the Car Technical Guide.
Sport car fans have stayed away from green cars simply because of the fact that alternative fuel cars such as LPG or biodiesel simply do not produce enough power for a good 0-60 mph acceleration.
We've compiled a list of the top 10 cars that pollute the least in the UK currently. There are a few fast cars in there to help persude the fast car fanatics that having a fast car does not have to mean more pollution!
- Honda Insight (2000-2005) - 80 g/km - 0-60 MPH in 12.1 seconds
- Toyota Prius Hatchback (2004 on) - 104 g/km - 0-60 MPH in 10.6 seconds
- CitroŽn C1 (2005 on) - 109 g/km - 0-60 MPH in 13.3 seconds
- Toyota Aygo (2005 on) - 109 g/km - 0-60 MPH in 14.4 seconds
- Honda Civic Hybrid Saloon (2006 on) - 109 g/km - 0-60 MPH in 11.7 seconds
- Peugeot 107 (2005 on) - 109 g/km - 0-60 MPH in 13.7 seconds
- CitroŽn C3 (2002 on) - 109 g/km - 0-60 MPH in 13 seconds
- Peugeot 207 (2006 on) - 112 g/km - 0-60 MPH in 14.3 seconds
- CitroŽn C3 (2002 on) - 112 g/km - 0-60 MPH in 11.3 seconds
- smart fortwo Coupť (2004-2007) - 113 g/km - 0-60 MPH in 15 seconds
For more information on how much CO2 your car produces, choose your car make and model from the Car Technical Guide.